Spending time with friends and loved ones on a city trip can mean costs often add up, but there are plenty of ways you can explore Britain for little expense.From a Black British culture walking tour through Notting Hill, to exploring the ghostly underground vaults in Edinburgh, here are some recommendations to help visitors save pennies while making memories in Britain.
Explore Britain’s cities in the most sustainable way – on foot!
– Discover the best of Bristol’s history, street art and architecture on ‘The Ultimate Bristol Walking Tour – Blackbeard to Banksy’
£10, book here
Stroll around Bristol’s streets with one of the expert local guides, from historians to artists, and learn of the city’s fascinating past as you go. Witness Blitz damage on the city, see old pirate haunts, and look out for the city’s renowned street art murals.
– Embark on a magical journey walking across London’s Harry Potter film locations
£10, book here
Discover the secret London locations which inspired J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter stories. Follow in the footsteps of Harry, Ron and Hermione in the places which inspired the Diagon Alley, the Leaky Cauldron pub and Ollivanders, to name a few. Feel like a real wizard apprentice and visit the mythical Platform 9 & ¾.
– Immerse yourself in a different side of Glasgow on this unique street art and modern culture tour
£12, book here
Discover Glasgow, meet your local guide and support a local business. Meander down hidden alleys to uncover some of the city’s most beautiful pieces of art. Learn about contemporary life in the city, its nightlife, creative industries and much more.
– Walk through the dark Victorian alleyways, where one of the world’s most infamous serial killers once hid in the shadows, London
£15, book here
On the Jack the Ripper Walking Tour you will experience a spine-tingling journey back to the Autumn of Terror in 1888. The tour will give you the chance to explore the historic background of the murders while learning about the gruesome details and blind investigations of the police forces.
– Get ready for an unforgettable spooky experience full of contrasts in the heart of Liverpool
£18.50, book here
Visit the city’s secret corners such as the haunted Philharmonic Hall and the Anglican Cathedral and learn more about Liverpool’s rich history and heritage, while you listen to magical creatures and spine-tingling stories.
– Learn about some of the most bizarre, quirky and tragic stories of the Notting Hill area and Black British Culture, London
£5.99, book here
Discover one of London’s most picturesque neighbourhoods and learn about the influence and origin of Black British culture with this self-guided podcast tour. Explore some of the most well-known spots such as Portobello Road as well as some off the beaten track spots.
Visit the most exciting attractions and experience our cities differently
– Discover the gory story of medicine through time at the brand-new ‘Sick to Death’ attraction in Chester
£6.00, book here
Get ready for bad smells, gross gore, a bit of magic and a lot of science and discovery. You can experience a playground of plague with a smatter of splatter and a chance to poke into our medical past.
– Immerse yourself in Mary Shelley’s complex and tragic past at the House of Frankenstein in Bath
£15.50, book here
Uncover the true story behind Mary Shelly and her best-known fictional character, Frankenstein. Mary Shelley’s House of Frankenstein delivers a visceral, illuminating and entertaining experience.
– Learn about the Royal Liver Building’s history and its significance to the city of Liverpool
£15, book here
Tour some of the building’s hidden secrets and listen to how Liverpool has evolved into the city you see today. Enjoy one of the most iconic panoramic views across Liverpool from the 15th floor of the building.
– See exclusive behind-the-scenes Harry Potter images at the London Film Museum
£20, book here
Celebrate over 10 years of magical filmmaking and admire a display of never-seen-before images of the world-famous film collection. Try a wizard’s drink at London’s only bottled Butterbeer bar during your visit.
– Take in Brighton’s seafront views from the British Airways i360 Viewing Deck
£19.50, book here
Glide up to 138 metres in a spacious glass viewing pod to enjoy 360-degree panoramic views of Brighton, the South Downs and the stunning coastline. Discover how this sleek, modern feat of architecture was built at the on-site exhibition and refresh yourself with a drink at the South Coast’s highest bar.
– Immerse yourself in the wonders of the ocean at Manchester’s SEA LIFE
£19.75, book here
Journey through the SEA LIFE Manchester aquarium and discover the magical underwater world and the wonders of the rainforest. Step inside the stunning ocean tunnel and submerge with the amazing underwater world.
– Admire the fascinating underwater world at Plantasia in Swansea
£8, book here
Swansea’s hi-tech hot house has over 40 species of animals and one of the finest collections of plants in Wales; Plantasia is a full day out for curious minds. Step through a giant tree into their rainforest, explore a below ground zone full of creepy crawlies and the forest floor with a rainbow fish filled pond and a 12ft python.
– Get up close to Edinburgh’s haunted past during a Ghostly Underground Vaults Tour
£20, book here
This spooky Edinburgh ghost tour is the ideal way to peek into the city’s ghostly past and dark history. Explore the city from below in the famous Blair Street Underground Vaults during this high-spirited tour.